Protein Crystallization and X-Ray Diffraction (PCXRD)
XRF Boot camp | MOB Boot Camp | 2021 Boot Camp Schedule
The practical course in crystallization and diffraction is intended to be a precursor to the one semester graduate level macromolecular crystallization special topics course taught by 9-month faculty every other year. In this course, we will cover basic concepts of crystals, symmetry, crystallization, x-ray generation, radiation safety, x-ray diffraction, cryo safety, cryogenic technique, data collection, data processing, Linux o/s, computer graphics, data visualization, and model building. More emphasis will be given to hands-on training and lab work than the full-fledged graduate course.
At the end of this course, you will learn basic concepts in:
|Protein crystallization and crystal symmetry||Cryogenic safety and cryo-crystallography|
|Need for crystals, cryogenic temperatures, and X-Rays||X-Ray generation and safety|
|X-Ray diffraction and data collection||Linux operating system and running programs|
|Data Processing and analysis||Computer graphics and model visualization|
|Duration of the program: 3 weeks||Number of days for experiments: 5 or 6|
|Flexible for expansion of experiments and data||Experience in wet lab, instrumentation, and computation|
1. Symmetry, lattices, crystals, and crystallization
2. Crystals and protein crystallization set-up
3. Crystallization observation and optimization
4. X-Rays, radiation safety and X-Ray generation
5. Cryogenics safety and cryo-crystallography
6. X-Ray Diffraction set-up and data collection
7. Linux operating system and computer graphics
8. Data processing and visualization and wrap-up
Sessions high-lighted in bold will involve more hands-on training time and sessions high-lighted in italics will involve more lecture time.
Updated: August 2021.